Thursday, December 9, 2010

2 month checkup


We had our 2 month check up the day before Thanksgiving and our princess got 4 shots. It was AWFUL! I must admit I shed a few tears for her.

I brought up the fact that she fights her sleep and it takes forever to put her to bed at night, hoping I'd get advice or some tricks to get her to fall asleep easier and he told me to put her in her bed and let her cry. :shock: Pat said sometimes she fights her sleep for 2 hours, and his response was that he's never had a patient die from crying.

I cannot, as a mother, listen to her cry for 2 hours. Plus at two months old I don't think that she is learning anything by letting her cry, other than I'm not being there for her. Even if the doctor is right and letting her cry will make her sleep through the night in two days, I just can't and won't do it. Do I think crying is bad? No Does my kid cry? Of course But I think there is a huge difference between her crying with me consoling her and her crying uncontrollably, alone, in her crib.

The next issue came up about sleeping through the night. After starting our routine we are getting up once a night (I say once b/c it's anywhere between 2 and 4 and then she gets up at 6 but I don't consider the 6 o'clock wake up 'at night' because once I go back to work that will be the time we get up for the day) and I'm super proud of Kimber's progress and am amazed at how she's fallen into our routine. However, when the doctor told me she should be sleeping through the night already I felt like a failure. We are doing what's best for us and to be told it's not correct, by a doctor, is just awful!

I've realized that our pedi doesn't have the 'every baby's different' mentality and so I'm 'breaking up' with him. If there is anything I've learned these past 10 weeks of being a mom, it's to trust your gut. I fully believe I am doing the best I can for Kimber and don't need to question myself every time I take her to the doctor. She is a healthy, happy baby so I must be doing something right :) Hopefully her 4 month appointment with the new family doctor will go better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love! I heart comments!