Monday, February 28, 2011

I need a manual!

For this whole 'solid food' thing! I've seriously never been more confused in. my. life. So please, if you have any insight... share :)


Ok, here we go...

We have been feeding the oatmeal cereal for a few weeks now and she loves it! I feed her when I get home from work and it's a pretty substantial amount. I haven't actually measured it exactly but it's about 2 oz of water, 1 scoop of formula and probably 4 scoops of cereal. She eats the whole bowl and acts like she could still eat more!

Here's my dilemma... I don't know what to do next! The plan was bump up and feed cereal twice a day, once in the morning and then again when I get home from work. I was going to do that for a couple weeks and then start on baby food. (Still haven't fully decided if I'm going to make my own or not. While I like the idea, I'm afraid of taking on something I know nothing about.)

I feel like I have 100 questions. Once we start on baby food, how often does she get that a day? Does she get the whole jar? Do you mix the baby food with cereal?

She doesn't act hungry between feedings. We can normally get 4-5 hours in between 6 oz bottles, so do we not need to start on food yet until she is acting hungry between feedings? We tried green beans this weekend and I noticed that it was way more runny than how I make her cereal so I'm thinking that might be a factor of why she wasn't the biggest fan?

Seriously people, am I the only one that is so confused by all this??? Please help!!!

2 comments:

  1. Our pedi said to feed him twice a day. Nick would usually have a fruit in the morning and I usually mixed the oatmeal cereal in with it. The rice cereal made him constipated so we switched to othe oatmeal one pretty early on. he LOVES it mixed with a fruit. I usually had a little baby bowl filled withone half side of fruit/oatmeal, and the other side a veggie. Sometimes I'd mix it all together if he didn't really like the veggie. I never waited in between diff foods like they tell you to make sure they don't have food allergies. No one in our fams have food allergies and nick has been fine. So that's what we did until 9 months and at that time he said to switch to the # 2 and #3 foods and to feed him 3 times a day instead of 2. I think at 6 or 7 months we also got some puffs and yogurt melts and Nick loved those. Now that he's 11 months he's on almost all solid foods and hates all the purees except for the fruits. Good luck hope that helped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there's a right or wrong here. In the beginning I would start her on cereal twice a day and let her try a new food every few days so you can make sure she doesn't have any food allergies. Once she gets to be a better eater she'll still need cereal once a day and a fruit and a veggie. I do cereal for breakfast fruit for lunch and veggie for dinner but that's just me. You do what works best for her. I do mix some apples with his cereal for breakfast cause he eats it better. Sometimes I mix rice cereal with his veggie to make it thicker but with step 2 foods they have some dinners (chicken and rice for ex) so I don't mix anything with that. So basically it's trial and error. If you have any questions I'm always here but this is just what's worked for us. Hope it helps :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! I heart comments!